Thursday, June 28, 2012

On dying


Photo credit: halekenergypartners.com



One of the poems I swear by “desiderata” has this line “nurture strength of spirit to guide you in sudden misfortune”.Events of the 3rd   of June and the past week has reminded me of the brevity of life. In addition, nothing truly prepares prepares one for bad news. I have thought and pondered on the purpose of life; why we bother getting educated and getting jobs when we would all die; why terrible things happen just when a situation is turning around; how one makes plans for tomorrow that never comes. I have wondered why A dies two weeks before he is to graduate; B passes a month before she is to get married; C dies after all the struggles and investments his parents have made in his life. I have thought about the man struggling to survive, who is a hit by a car and is gone; the guy that stole N1705 and has been sentenced to death, the domestic help that falls ill and is sent “back home to die”. I wonder how Nigerians live with the weekly murders of Nigerians in the North and how we as a people are no longer shocked when we hear that so and so number of people were murdered.I imagine the quality of life an area boy, a driver, a maid and how these people pass through life and may never enjoy the good life.

I have come to the conclusion that life is not living not selfishly because death just comes like the snap of your fingers.I have learned that life is for service. My mind  keeps going back to Eccleciastes 9: 5,6 and 10. I am challenged by verse 10 that says “Whatever your hands finds to do, do it with all your might, for there is no work or device or knowledge or wisdom in the place of the dead where you are going”.

I imagine that if we (both rulers and the ruled) realize that we are all going six feet under, our country may not be in the state it is in. It is unfortunate that people live and die without a thought for others.  I am not going to run a commentary on all that is wrong with this country but I want to leave each one of us with this thought; what can I do to make the life of another better? 

0 Thoughts:

Post a Comment